Fork Mount 8" Newtonian
- I built this scope in the early 1980's.
- It's an 8" newtonian reflector in a homemade fork mount.
- I bought the optics from Coulter Optical but built the rest.
- The base and fork are made with 3/4" B-grade plywood and 2x6 - no money back then :(
- The tube is 1/2" plywood with 2x2 internal bracing.
- The mirror cell:
- Comprised of a 3/4" plywood disc that sits on a 3/4" plywood square plate (the end cap of the tube).
- Sandwiched between is a tripod of very stiff rubber pads from skateboard trucks.
- Carriage bolts pass through the pads to wing nuts on the outside of the end cap board.
- The mirror is held to the disc board by "L" brackets with small (bent) hooks at the top
- The polar axis is a 3" aluminum tube.
V Click thumbnails for full size